2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
    May 21, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Veteran Benefits and Certifications

Newman University programs are approved for Veterans Educational Benefits. Veterans and their dependents and spouses may be eligible for educational benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Students who hope to receive veterans’ educational benefits at Newman University should request a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA at 1-888-GI BILL-1 or through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. The VA will determine whether or not a student is eligible for VA educational benefits. The Registrar’s Office at Newman University requires a current copy of the COE before the student’s first semester. In addition, an Enrollment Certification Request for VA Education Benefits form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office prior to the start of each semester a student plans to use VA educational benefits These documents must be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office before certification can be processed.

Newman University is proud to participate in The Yellow Ribbon GI Educational Enhancement Program, which is designed for qualifying veterans and dependents who wish to attend a private university. A student’s tuition and fees costs may exceed the standard Post-9/11 GI Bill® maximum benefit rate. The Yellow Ribbon Program is an agreement with the VA to help cover the additional costs. The VA will match Newman’s additional contribution dollar-for-dollar so the student can attend Newman for little to no cost.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Veteran Benefits and Transition Act Of 2018 - Section 103, Pl 115-407

Newman University does not impose any penalty, including assessment of late fees, deny access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities, or require a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient to borrow additional funds to cover the individual’s inability to meet his/her financial obligations to Newman University due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This applies only if the payments are not received within 90 days of the beginning of the term.

Students are required to provide documentation to ensure they are entitled to GI Bill Benefits no later than the first day of the educational program in which they are enrolling.

The restriction on penalties would not apply in cases where the student owes additional payment to Newman University beyond the amount of the tuition and fee payment from VA to Newman.

Military Credit

For students who have earned academic credits while in military service, and which are recorded on a Joint Service Transcript, credit will be accepted per the recommendation of the American Council on Education, provided it otherwise meets the criteria for transfer of credit to Newman University. Students should submit an official Joint Services Transcript along with their application for admission to Newman University.

Military TDY

Newman University is committed to working with our students who are active duty military personnel. Active duty service members may receive orders for a temporary duty station (TDY).

The policy followed at Newman University is:

  1. If the TDY is more than three weeks long and the military student knows ahead of time, the student is not enrolled in the class.
  2. The faculty member works with the military student going on TDY by doing the following:
    1. If the TDY falls during the beginning of the course and the faculty member does not think the student can make up the course work, the instructor can suggest the student withdraw from the course and submit a request to the Exceptions Committee to authorize a full tuition refund for the course.
    2. If the TDY falls at the end of the semester, the faculty member can either give the student an incomplete, allow completion of the coursework/test when the student returns, or allow early completion of the coursework/test.

If a student has a leave of absence longer than one calendar year due to temporary military duty or assignment, they may re-enter under the original catalog of admittance, provided the degree and major are still available.